Basbousa (also known as harissa ) is a middle eastern moist sweet cake made with semolina and orange water. It is well known in all Arab countries. Easy to make and delicious.
For the syrup
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 cups of water
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- zest of one lemon
- 6 tablespoons of orange water
For the dough
- 1 pot of yogurt ( without aroms)
- 1 cup of cooking oil
- 10 grams of baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 4 eggs ( room temperature )
- 1 tsp of vanilla lequid
- 2 cups of coarse semolina
- 1/2 cup of shreded coconut
Orange water syrup
Start by making the syrup. In a saucepan, place sugar, water, lemon, and 1 zest of the lemon over medium heat. Simmer for 15 minutes until slightly thickened.
Remove from heat and add 6 tablespoons of orange water. After 5 minutes let the syrup cool in the fridge before using.
- Preheat oven to 180° C. Grease 30 cm conical cake with butter.
- In a large bowl, put 4 eggs, pinch of salt, vanilla liquid, sugar and beat with an electric mixer until the mixture becomes white and fluffy.
- Next, add 1 pot of yogurt ,1 cup of oil and mix again.
- Finally, add 2 cups of coarse semolina with baking powder. pour the mixture into your cake pan and bake until golden and brown.
When the basbousa is ready, pour the cool syrup on it gradually while the basbousa is still hot and decorate with the shredded coconut. Put it in the fridge for about 6 hours to soak up the syrup well and the basbousa cake becomes moist.
For best result,Set the basbousa in the fridge for 6 hours .Cut the basbousa into small squares and serve it with tea.
Enjoy your basbousa cake an Bon Appétit!