Pennyroyal or Mentha Pulegium is a green plant from the “Mentha Family”.The plant grows in Europe, North Africa, and Asia (The Middle East).
Pennyroyal essential oil is derived from the leaves of the plant by steam distillation and it has a minty scent since pulegone is the original compound of this oil that has a specific mint aroma.
Above all, this oil has anti-microbial, anti-bacterial,anti-rheumatic, antiseptic, and decongestant properties. Pennyroyal oil has been used since ancient times to heal fevers, prevent infections, cure digestive and menstrual problems, and kill insects as well.
Benefits of Pennyroyal Essential Oil
1.Menstrual and Digestive Problems
Pennyroyal oil is rich in antioxidant properties and phenolic acids like flavonoids which help treat digestive problems, soothe stomach pains, and regulate menstrual period by stimulating hormone production such as estrogen.
Drink one cup of Pennyroyal tea to help you tackle menstrual cramps and treat gas and stomach pain.
Notice: take a small dose of pennyroyal tea.
2.Prevent Skin Infection
- Pennyroyal Oil has anti-microbial and anti-bacterial properties that fight skin infections and kill microbes and bacteria.
- Apply a small amount 1% of pennyroyal essential oil on the affected area because it can be toxic and dangerous in higher doses.
3.Relieve Anxiety and Depression
One other benefit of using Pennyroyal oil is to relieve anxiety and
4. Reduce Dandruff and Hair Loss
Apply Pennyroyal essential oil on your scalp with circular motions and leave for 10 minutes before taking a shower.
Notice: do not exceed 10 minutes.
5.Kill and Repel Insects
The toxic properties in pennyroyal oil repel animals, pests, and insects by spraying and vaporizing because it is highly poisonous.
Side Effects of Pennyroyal Oil
- Nausea, vomiting, and dizziness
- Blood pressure
- Pregnant women should avoid pennyroyal oil and tea during the period of pregnancy.
- Do not apply it to children.
- For children’s safety put pennyroyal oil up and away and out of sight.
- This oil doesn’t blend with other oils.